Saturday 5 January 2013

Tattoos ARE Beautiful

See.....











I really wanted to look at tattoos as diversity in the fashion industry, as i feel it is a bit of a grey area. Tattoos are more acceptable than they used to be, and more and more brands are using tattooed models, however is till feel like they are doing it to be diverse or to make a statement, and not a just accepting that its perfectly normal.  However i do feel like this will change as time passes, i see alot more tattooed models in the fashion industry in the future.

Interview with Tattoo artist Gemma Hewitt, the female model of the previous photos.


Name:Gemma Hewitt
Age: 27
Location: Bournemouth
Work: Self employed but work at a studio

What sparked your interest in tattoos?: I am fascinated with how a picture can look so realistic on skin and when something amazes me like that i want to be able to do it myself. I can find tattoos captivating and they draw me in to look further. I love peoples reactions to my tattoos and being able to mix up my style with different clothes that compliment my tattoos.

Talk me through your tattoos. What have you got and what are the stories behind them? :
Ok well i got my first tattoo when i was 13.

Tut Tut: I was a nightmare teenager and wanted the latest thing and that time is was tattoos. i then got tribal and lillies from my toe right over my shoulder. I am one for making a statement and never do things by halves so i though if im gonna get another tattoo, then i want it to be outrageous, and to my family and friends, that was. I suffered with depression when i was younger and had very bad selfharm scars on my arms so that sparked my next tattoo....i got a Japanese sleeve to cover the scars. Then i had the odd one here and there, kids names, swallow etc and the next big one was my neck...again i had to be bold, wanted a statement piece and the girl who designed this piece knew me well and knew how to make this piece fit me. I then had a big octopus holding a ship on my ribs. I always wanted a pirate ship, no real reason and when i seen this piece i had to have it...it hurt though eeeek! I have a sailor jerry tattoo becasue i wanted a replica of a famous tattoo artist and i have done various roses and coverups down my legs to practice.

Do you have any regrets about any of them?: Not al all

How would you describe yourself? Ha! Well i am a live wire, not one to be controlled, i rebel at restriction and love to make a statement. I try to stay grounded and true. I find it hard to hold a grudge and since tattooing i have become a very laid back person.

If you could go back in time and tell your younger self one piece of advice, what would it be?
: I dont know this is a toughie...because im a strong believer that everything i have done has led me to where i am now, and im happy where i am, i wouldnt want to change a thing.....yes ive made stupid mistakes and awful decision but if i hadnt then who know...i might not even be a tattooist

Why do you think tattoos are increasing in popularity?
: I think the boundries of fashion have been pushed more and more as time has past. Now models on large campaigns are being spotted with tattoos. as more and more people want to push the boundries they have to go a little bit more outrageous than the last and so on, then before you know it it becomes a trend, models are showing tattoos, tattooed models are becoming more popular, now it doesnt seem so outrageous to get that small little tat anymore and so it makes people more inclined to get one. It so much more sociably acceptable now, policeman have tattoos on show, less people judge you these days for having ink.
Do you ever find there are certain trends within tattoos? Most definately.....a famous actor is seen with a tattoo in a movie..dusk till dawn for example and so everybody wants to look like that...its the same with fashion...you see a pop star wearing something different that you like...you want a bit of that and so you follow suit.
Whats the most exiting piece you’ve ever done on a customer?: Hmmm so far probably a portrait of Bane from batman when it had just come out in the cinema...it was my second ever portrait and realism is something that excites me...the client sat well which let me get in my lil zone and i really enjoyed it...probably a bit boring to most but for me all realism and a good challenge excites me.
Do you ever feel judged because of how you look?: Oh yes recently i walked in to quite a posh resturant and as i walked in the whole place went silent and i could feel loads of eyes watching me as i sat at my table...but do you know what..i like it, thats me, like to make a statement and it still gives me a little lift when i start talking to people and they really were expecting a rough bad mouthed girl when the get a down to earth polite young lady (ish)
Would you describe tattoos as art, or more of an accessory? I think when you get the tattoo like the fad of getting shhh on your finger for example,  it is more of an accessory but when you get a piece that draws the eyes in, that rewards you for looking further...thats art
What your ultimate dream?: I want people all over the world travelling to get a tattoo off me...i want to be head hunted, i want to have experience with working with the top artist and learning different methods and techniques. I want to learn from people who inspire me and then i want to inspire others.
Kayla xxx

No comments :

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a message