Thursday 7 March 2013

Is size 8 really aspirational?

I went on a little shopping spree last weekend and was a little surprised with what i found out.

I am quite skinny, I am lucky that i never really have to worry about my weight. I am a UK 6 top and a UK 8 bottom.

While out I found this top I liked, a plain blue t-shirt but I just loved the colour and feel. However i was not willing to pay £16 for one plain t-shirt! Replacing the Topshop T-shirt, I decided to look in New Look for a cheaper option!

Looking around I could not find my blue top, but I picked up a few other things instead. Venturing downstairs in the Basingstoke store, I found myself in the children's range after spotting a top i liked, and not realising! I have to say New Look kids clothing, is basically just smaller adults clothing, or so I thought.

I found this blue top- so similar to the Topshop one, but considerably cheaper! I was so annoyed that the children's range had a cheaper version but not the adults.



That was until i compared the sizes of the children's top and my adult size 8 t-shirt i had picked up, form upstairs.

The blue top, in size age 12, was actually larger than the size 8 top from the adult range. At first i thought "GREAT" as the top was half the price of the other new look top, and £11 cheaper than the similar Topshop one.

But having got home i started thinking. Generally most girls my age aspire to be a size 8- so if a size 8 top is SMALLER than an age 12 top, are we aspiring to be thinner than children. Surely there is nothing sexy about looking like a child? Is it healthy to want to be the size of a child?

It is definitely something i am going to think about, it made me think of the idea of waxing and body hair removal as well. I personally like to wax and be hair free- but is that also reverting my adult body to being more like a child?

What do you think?

Kayla xxx

5 comments :

  1. Maybe it's the figure-hugging-ness of it all? I'm similar to you, never had an issue with keeping skinny; I've only just hit a healthy BMI (twenty years in the making and the doctor didn't even as much as give me a sticker! :P)

    But yeah, I shop in both kids and adults, but I fit they are in different proportions, for instance, whereas I can get my boobs in a size eight and sits on my waist nicely, the age 11-12 will be baggy on the waist, a little too short and not room-y at the top. It makes me a little proud that the New Look teens clothes aren't clingy, as people always say that kids dress too old, so that seems like a nice control.

    Either way, I don't think it's size that counts, but fitness and health. (:

    Come visit me! :D http://www.prettypug.blogspot.com

    -Nin xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on this

    As a younger adult I too used to find Childrens wear more accessible, better fitting and great price - God I miss ladybird at Woolworths - ecxpecially for their footwear!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry my reply button has not been working so i believe i have sent you replied individually now! Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a size 10 and I was shocked to find that I fit into New Look's children's aged 13-14!

    As much as I do like buying clothes a bit cheaper, it does worry me that the size of children these days seems to be getting so much larger and the catwalk models so much skinner!

    grannygee.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, i agree completely! Its nice to get such a bargain but i feel a little uncomfortable aiming to be the size of a child!

      Are we trying to be too thin? Or are children getting fatter and the shops are having to accommodate that?

      Delete

Feel free to leave a message